Sunday, July 24, 2011

Determined to run

This past week has been good. Took Monday and Tuesday off due to being out of town. Could have run in Worcester, of course, but it was hot and sometimes I'll use any excuse to be lazy.

Usually I run in cotton; sweat shorts and t-shirts, sweatshorts are part poly, I'm sure. I've tried the microfiber polyester moisture wicking shirts but haven't been too impressed. They don't seem to keep me any cooler or drier. Today I tried a shirt I got on sale a few years ago at EMS. From NRS, it was intendeed to be used in water sports, I think, and I wore it on a rafting trip in Maine last summer. It was a bit cool then; cloudy and misty rain with temps in the upper 60s. The shirt was maybe too cool for that day, unless I was in the water. The shirt feels cool when I put it on even when not wet; very breezy feeling. So today was the first time I tried it for a run in warm weather (72 and overcast with scattered sprinkles), (I tried it under a long sleeve sweatshirt one winter but it was too chilly). A bit contradictory feelings--a relatively heavy fabric of tight fitting nylon/spandex, cool around the core but tight around the neck and elbow length sleeves. I didn't overheat like I thought I might, so overall I think I was cooler with the shirt. It seemed to hold a lot of moisture/sweat. There may have been a relatively high dew point this morning as having more wetness in the shirt didn't make it cooler.

Previous years, I haven't liked to run in temps over 60. This year I'm more tolerant for some reason. Maybe wearing no shoes cools me off a little more or maybe I'm more determined to run so I adapt to BF as soon as my body allows. Or maybe running slower, not maxing out the heart rate, makes the higher temps tolerable. I had slept decently overnight, but felt kind of drained by 11:00 AM, so had a brief lie down.

No comments:

Post a Comment